LAYC’s advocacy efforts aim to influence public policy and protect programs and practices that positively and directly impact the lives of the youth we serve. Our advocacy platform focuses on those issues that are critical to supporting LAYC’s mission across the region. In alignment with our core values, LAYC engages in an array of activities involving staff, youth and their families, and community members such as testifying at public hearings, engaging local government leaders, coalition building, community organizing, and outreach. LAYC champions efforts that articulate and amplify community perspectives and youth voices that are often marginalized in public decision-making processes.
Our Focus Areas
Justice for Immigrants
Protecting the rights of immigrant youth and families and advocating for just and fair reforms and policies that treat all immigrants and refugees with respect and dignity.
- DREAMER Committee
- Member of DMV Coalition in Support of Children Fleeing Violence [View DMV Youth Summit Report: Our Voices, Our Future]
- Member of the DC Language Access Coalition
Increasing awareness about the impact of racial injustice by promoting practices and programs that address racial equity and utilize effective interventions for youth of color.
- Committee Organizing for Racial Equity at LAYC
- Cultural and educational celebrations for and by LAYC youth
- Programs designed to increase leadership skills for youth of color like Full Circle Brotherhood and Latino Student Leadership Council
LGBTQ Safety and Inclusivity
Creating safe spaces for LGBTQ youth’s learning and development and safeguarding against discrimination by increasing access to services for LGBTQ youth.
- LGBTQ ally training
- Safer Space Committee
- LGBTQ housing programs
- Member of DC Youth Bullying Task Force
- Member of U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness, Youth Subcommittee
Civic Engagement and Service
Creating service learning opportunities and developing workforce skills to promote civic engagement, civil service, and environmental justice.
- AmeriCorps programs in DC and Prince George’s County, Maryland
- Montgomery County Conservation Corps
- RiverCorps DC
- 2nd Nature program
- Voter registration drives
- Affiliate of UnidosUS
To learn more about LAYC’s advocacy efforts, please contact Susana Martinez, Chief Strategy Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.