Dear LAYC Friends,
Helping our youth and families stay connected to the community is critical during these times of uncertainty. As a direct service organization, and in response to the global COVID-19 crisis, LAYC has quickly pivoted to make decisions that keep our community safe and healthy while creatively responding to the needs of our youth and families.
Food and supplies distribution.
LAYC staff are adapting services to ensure our youth and families feel supported and cared for during this uncertain time. LAYC serves 5,000 youth annually and we are actively engaging 2,000 youth currently, continuing to make adjustments as we learn of their needs.
- Food insecurity is a top priority, as our older youth and families struggle to afford or access groceries: many have expressed concerns that their community grocery stores have increased prices. Our staff are delivering groceries and grocery store gift cards.
- Our Counseling staff are providing video-chat counseling and support services to youth, serving both existing clients and responding to an increase in youth anxiety and mental health concerns.
- Staff have scheduled diaper pick-ups and are delivering diapers to young parents and families.
- Staff have delivered laptops and set up internet hotspots for our GED students so they can access online learning.
- We are currently working to assess and provide internet access and adequate technology to all of our students so they can learn from home.
- The Education team is preparing learning kits to keep youth engaged in learning during extended school closures: kits include virtual field trips, online social hangouts, and other creative enrichment activities.
- Our Housing team continues to support 62 youth living in our apartment units and is coordinating efforts with government agencies and local partners to provide safe housing for homeless youth.
Mental health Clinicians on a video call.
We are committed to supporting and providing hope to our youth and families. Your support of these efforts is more important than ever as this global crisis further challenges the availability of safety net services for the most vulnerable members of our community.
If you are able to make a contribution at this time, please consider donating here.
Through your financial contribution, LAYC will be able to continue providing essential services such as mental health, education, case management, and housing support to our youth and families; ensuring they are treated compassionately and with dignity throughout this crisis.
We will continue to update COVID-19 resources for the community on our website, and keep you updated by email about our ongoing work and the impact of your gift on our youth and families.
GED online instruction.
With my deepest gratitude and best wishes for you and your loved ones,
President & CEO
Read more LAYC COVID-19 updates here.