The Latin American Youth Center- Maryland Multicultural Youth Centers (LAYC/MMYC) is a not-for-profit organization serving immigrant youth and youth of color in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. LAYC seeks to help youth become successful and happy young adults by providing a comprehensive set of programs to meet youth where they are, and help them build the skills they need to succeed and become change agents in their community. For additional information on LAYC, please visit our website: www.layc-dc.org
This position is listed for the LAYC-MMYC Prince George’s County site. The Program Specialist is responsible for conducting outreach to youth (ages 18-24) and families, and attends ongoing events in Prince George’s County. The Program Specialist also enrolls the recruited youth into the Resource Referral System. In addition to this, the specialist will provide job readiness and life skills classes for out-of-school and in school youth on topics including resume writing, interviewing skills, communication, customer service, responsibility, and conflict resolution.
LAYC/MMYC is a culturally competent organization that prioritizes recruiting and supporting staff who have shared life experiences with our youth.
- Plan and schedule community meetings and events for the MMYC- Prince George’s County Programs
- Conduct outreach and identification of individuals who are in need workforce, educational and homeless services;
- Create and maintain relationships with community-based partner organizations, agencies and referral sources
- Make presentations on programs at community meetings, schools and other relevant meetings
- Coordinate staff outreach efforts, including door to door outreach in targeted neighborhoods to find eligible youth and promote the program
- Attends all mandatory recruitment events and LAYC staff meetings;
- Improve professional skills by attending workshops, seminars, and training sessions (as needed);
- Represents the LAYC at community or outside agency meetings (when necessary);
- Manage intake and orientation of new clients, both content and coordinating other staff participation
- Respond to questions from clients about the program processes
- Manage and report on all data related to recruitment
- Maintain contact with all referral agencies, responding to inquiries and requests
- Prepare and present ongoing life skills and job readiness classes for in-school and out-of-school youth
- Collect information about youth, and family members using interviewing, case history and observation techniques for the purpose of determining needs for referral to appropriate programs within MMYC-Prince George’s County; Provides necessary referrals and makes sure that youth receive appropriate assistance by maintaining the ETO Database
- Knowledgeable of crisis intervention techniques
- Prepare monthly statistics and narrative reports
- Maintain updated criminal background and child protective clearances as required by LAYC and funders
- Perform other duties specifically assigned by the Prince George’s Managing Director and Workforce program manager
- Adhere to all LAYC/MMYC personnel policies
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Worker or related field preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience in street outreach or related work with at-risk youth
- Experience working in a community-based and multicultural setting
- Knowledge of community and local resources in DC and Maryland
- At least one-year experience with group facilitation and workshop design
- Bilingual or fluent/ proficient: English and Spanish required
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Valid Driver’s License required
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with minimum supervision
- Proficient computer skills, experience with ETO or other data collection system a plus
- Knowledge of case management, monitoring, and reporting
- Experience working in a team environment
- Complete medical, FBI and child abuse and neglect clearances.
- Flexible schedule, including evening and weekend hours, as needed
- Flexible, energetic, positive individual with commitment to youth development in a high quality, respectful environment.
- Ability to work well and communicate with culturally diverse populations
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 10 lbs. May require the ability to travel locally and/or regionally.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
LAYC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that values diversity as a strength and fosters an environment of mutual respect. LAYC is committed to providing opportunities without any regard to age, race, color, pregnancy, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or status within any other protected group.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Dahiana Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org.