The Latin American Youth Center (LAYC) is a nationally recognized youth serving organization in
Washington, DC, and Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties in Maryland. We serve 5,000 youth and their families annually with intervention programs and opportunities in education, workforce readiness, housing, mental health services, arts, and healthy recreation. Our mission is to empower a diverse population of youth to achieve a successful transition to adulthood, through multi-cultural, comprehensive, and innovative programs that address youths’ social, academic, and career needs.
Provides professional support to human resources functions across all LAYC’s sites and LAYC Career Academy. Primary role involves supporting new staff onboarding and off-boarding processes, benefits administration, employee relations, recruitment, HR policy interpretation, background check administration and coordinating HR events (Quarterly on-boarding, New Hire Breakfasts, Summer Staff Picnic etc. and Leave administration.
The role collaborates with the Payroll function to ensure employee activations or deactivations in the HR and Payroll systems and benefits activations/deactivations.
- Collaborates with program supervisors to drive the new hire onboarding process.
- Supports benefits administration function to include communicating coverage and eligibility requirements to employees and maintaining benefit enrollment paperwork.
- Partners with the HR Director and Benefits brokers to coordinate all Open Enrollment events to include, communications, fielding employees benefits inquiries, benefits audits etc.
- Responsible for tracking and maintaining all Personnel Actions Forms in personnel records.
- Generates custom reports from HR/Payroll system to inform decision.
- Leads the tracking and communication of LAYC’s new hire clearance process.
- Leads the Internal and External Job postings process.
- Reviews and approves all Job Descriptions to ensure compliance and consistency.
- Assist in ensuring HR processes are in compliance with applicable Federal, State and local laws
- Creates and maintains all new hire personnel files.
- Maintains internal employee directory.
- Responsible for the coordination and follow through of worker’s compensation claims
- Off-Boarding paperwork and assisting with exit interviews
- Exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality in maintaining critical and sensitive information, records, and reports.
- Responsible for Leave administration, communication and tracking (FMLA, Workers Compensation, Short Term Disability).
- Assisting in the administering the performance evaluation process through
- Partners with HR Director to support employee training initiatives.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Basic knowledge of human resources functions and procedures
- 2 – 4 years of Human Resources experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Spanish proficiency desired.
- Proficient in Federal and State (DC, MD and VA) employment laws
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment.
- Non-profit experience a plus but not required
- Good working knowledge of computer systems, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Must be a team player
- Self-motivated, punctual, and well organized
- Must be detail oriented
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Detail orientation for managing HR reporting.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 10 lbs. May require the ability to travel locally and/or regionally.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at LAYCHR@layc-dc.org