The Latin American Youth Center (LAYC) is a not-for-profit organization serving immigrant youth and youth of color in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. LAYC seeks to help youth become successful and happy young adults by providing a comprehensive set of programs to meet youth where they are, and help them build the skills they need to succeed and become change agents in their community. For additional information on LAYC, please visit our website: www.layc-dc.org
The Community School Coordinator (CSC) will focus on working with students in the areas of academic, enrichment and wellness. The CSC will work in collaboration with school partners and external stakeholders to ensure that our students work towards meeting academic, behavioral and attendance goals. An integral part of this work will be the engagement of the parents and community at large.
The CSC will be responsible for serving tier 1, 2 and 3 students, as required per grant sources. In this position, the CSC works directly with the school’s principal, leadership team and key stakeholders to address the needs of the school – as identified by the needs assessment. Furthermore, the CSC is responsible for planning and implementing youth programs, student and parent workshops and community wide events. This position is based out of Riverdale, MD and Hyattsville, MD.
LAYC/MMYC is a culturally competent organization that prioritizes recruiting and supporting staff who have shared life experiences with our youth.
- Participate in the identification, planning and directing of activities to ensure implementation of project goals
- Initiates and Participates in the development of recommendation relative to Supplemental Instruction/Tutorials
- Assist and monitor students’ participation and progress through school data analysis
- Plan and implement afterschool program activities – include outreach activities, celebrations, field trips (currently virtual), survey administration, workshops and data collection
- Conducts workshops for students, parents and families
- Plan and implement community events, fundraisers, and incentive activities for students
- Lead and participate in steering committee meetings and community stakeholder meetings
- Conduct and analyze data from needs assessments of students, teachers and community at large
- Outreach to parents/guardians to engage them in their child’s educational goals
- Assists with reporting requirements
- Maintains records of student performance and participation in organization-wide ETO database.
- Outreach other organizations that can provide resources to the families
- Update outreach materials such as brochures, flyers and newsletters
- Help enforce rules and regulations of the program
- Adhere to rules of confidentiality
- Assist with internal file audit
- Implement program services and supervise contracted teachers, tutors and AmeriCorps members
- Perform other activities specifically assigned by Educational Programs Manager or Deputy Director
- Adhere to all LAYC personnel policies
- A bachelor’s degree preferred and three plus years of youth development experience.
- Commitment to confidentiality required.
- Bilingual Required.
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills.
- Excellent time management and ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word programs and Zoom.
- The willingness and desire to work independently, as well as collaboratively, and to take on additional responsibilities.
- A positive attitude and an earnest interest in providing good customer service to our clients.
- Complete criminal, TB and child and neglect clearances.
- Obtain CPR and First Aid certifications.
- Complete random drug test on a yearly basis.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Ability to work well and communicate with culturally diverse populations.
This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 10 lbs. May require the ability to travel locally and/or regionally.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
LAYC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that values diversity as a strength and fosters an environment of mutual respect. LAYC is committed to providing opportunities without any regard to age, race, color, pregnancy, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status or status within any other protected group.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com