LAYC offers programs that expose high school students in partner schools in DC and Riverdale to careers in health care. The goal of our health career exploration programs is to increase the numbers of young people entering the health care field who are culturally and linguistically prepared to meet the needs of their communities.
The Prince George’s County Youth CareerConnect program (PGC-YCC) is a four-year Science Technology Engineering Math (STEM) education initiative funded by the U.S. Department of Labor to provide over 2,500 high school students in Prince George’s County with education and skills training, internships, college prep and dual enrollment, mentoring, and job readiness training to excel in the high growth industries in healthcare and information technology (IT).
Led by the Prince George’s County Economic Development Corporation, PGC-YCC is a collaboration among Latin American Youth Center, Prince George’s County Public Schools, Prince George’s County Community College, The Maryland Center at Bowie State University, Hillside Work-Scholarship Connection, Ashlin Urban Institute, and two business partners at Lockheed Martin and Dimensions Healthcare Systems.
- Job/Internship Placement – Receive internship opportunities for Fall/Summer
- Job Readiness – Teach students how to do well on the job
- Resume Writing – Prepare a resume and how to use it for interviews to receive internship opportunities.
- Academic Counseling/Career Exploration – Assist students on college application requirements and financial aid options College Prep – Earn college credit by taking classes at Prince George’s Community College as a high school student
- Mentoring – Get a mentor to support you with your career/education/life goals and participate in group activities and events with mentors.
- Service Learning Projects – Take field trips to job sites, local colleges, career centers, and participate in community service projects.
Riverdale, MD: 6200 Sheridan Street, Riverdale, MD 20737
Luis Antonio Ostolaza, Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, (301) 383-3023.