The Teen Center provides an array of recreational activities for youth in a safe, drug and alcohol-free environment. The Center serves youth (ages 12-21) Monday-Friday from 3:30-7pm. Activities include pool, ping pong, weight lifting, soccer, basketball, informal counseling, educational workshops, movie nights, and field trips.
- To provide/promote diverse recreational activities for youth between the ages of 12-21 years old in a safe, drug and alcohol-free environment;
- To interact with youth on a daily basis to identify needs that they may have and make the appropriate referrals to programs, activities or counseling based on each individual's needs.
- The Teen Center offers the following recreational, educational and sport activities: Ping pong, pool, Foosball, domino games and weightlifting;
- Ward 4: Open gym for the DIC participants to play basketball and indoor soccer;
- Organized soccer teams aimed at promoting the sport and developing the moral, educational, and occupational improvement of the athletes;
- Field trips and picnics so the participants can experience/sense a different kind of environment in a safe, drug and alcohol-free zone;
- Workshops about topics including: HIV, STD’s, Teen Prevention Pregnancy, Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana, Personal Hygiene and Substance Abuse;
- Chain Reaction, a program to teach participants how to repair and maintain their bikes;
- One-on-one and group mentoring and referrals to Social Services Division;
- Movie nights for participants who have improved academically or whose behavior has been exceptional at the Teen Center;
- Free physical exam: DIC staff takes participants to Mary’s Center for a physical exam on the first and third Saturday of each month;
- Summer Youth Employment Program registration;
- Trips to Six Flags/King Dominion, Rehoboth Beach, DC United soccer games as well as camping and canoeing trips;
- Opportunity for involvement in local and state programs and other functions which promote leadership skills; and
- Education advocacy
- Must attend school on a regular basis;
- Must adhere to LAYC rules & regulations;
- Must be between the ages of 12-21 years old.
The activities are offered after school on weekdays from 3:30 pm-7:00 pm and some weekends during the summer.
at (202) 319-3094 for details.