|LAYC Art+Media House Youth Meet John Legend|
|Tuesday, 08 May 2012 13:36|
Art + Media House participants were in for a special treat during What’s Going On...Now events and concert. The What's Going On...Now project honors 40 years since Marvin Gaye performed the single What's Going On at the newly opened Kennedy Center. To celebrate the anniversary of this event, the Kennedy Center led a national conversation around the issues and ideas on the record. They asked young people to think critically about these themes and respond in their own artistic voice. Besides performing at the Kennedy Center’s Millennium Stage along with youth from around the country, AMH youth had premium seats for the John Legend concert, and posed for the picture, above.
Other performers and special guests included the National Symphony Orchestra, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, and Louvain Demps of the Adantes, who shared the stage with Gaye during the first What's Going On concert in 1972. Demps is pictured center with AMH youth. See the What's Goign On video produced by AMH youth, below.
LAYC AMH participants were: Marisol Alcalde, Shannon Marshall, Corey Evans, Teryn McRae, and Devonte Reed.
Most Read Stories
- LAYC Joins Fútbol Club Barcelona and the Gates Foundation in Partnership Launch Event
- First Lady Michelle Obama Attends "Cinco de Mayo" Celebration
- LAYC Featured in Front Page of New York Times
- Tony Hawk, Jorge Ramos and Denis Mcdonough visit LAYC as part of White House Father's Day Celebration
- LAYC Welcomes DC Mayor Fenty